Thursday, May 9, 2013

Rationale/Photographers' Statement


My Rationale

Photography is an art that many undermine. Many think that with a simple click of the shutter, us photographers can create a work of art, just like that, as easy as a snap of a finger. Oh, how wrong those people are. There is so much more to it. Dare I say, photography definitely is not for the weak-hearted or the impatient. It requires an analytical mind with good instinct and a keen eye for a good photograph. It is also a rather expensive activity, but it is a good investment in the long run.

Throughout this five month journey, I learned about the basic technical aspects which are the key factors to a good photograph—aperture, shutter speed, ISO, how to evaluate the exposure using the zone system and lighting. Turns out, behind something aesthetically pleasing to the eye, there is a formula and a science behind it. I also learned a bit on about the artistic side of photography as well, in terms of composition, combining or juxtaposing several elements to create a uniformed composition, and giving art direction. I also improved my communication skills—through presentations, how to listen, helping my coursemates out, accepting the lecturer's critique, and making sure my message gets through, in terms of taking a photograph.

As a budding photography hobbyist, I have gained a lot of experience throughout this course. Amidst all the blood, tears and sweat shed, it was all worth it in the end. The path I took was indeed a grueling yet rewarding one. I also learnt that photography is an art that cannot be absolutely perfected, it is a constant learning process. I faced several challenges throughout this course, such as taking really good photographs on the spot to minimize editing, having to endure the weather, traffic, tight deadlines to get my photographs printed, and quickly configuring the exposure in Manual Mode. In the end, I came out as a stronger and better artist, student and amateur photographer.

For the final assignment, I put everything I had learnt to the test. The theme I finally settled with, after weeks of feeling a bit lost, was 'Double Exposures: Juxtaposing Human and Nature.' I settled with this theme because I love the relaxing effect double exposures usually give the viewer, thus the sullen or relaxed expression on the models I photographed. I then juxtaposed their shots with varying nature shots, consisting of several angles, shapes, exposures, and textures. I tried my best to make sure each photograph compliments each other, despite its difference, and making sure nothing is out of place. I also put my Adobe Photoshop knowledge to execution in terms of editing. Cropping, free transforming, adjusting the contrast/levels, and screening were some of the editing that I did. One thing quite noticeable about the end product is that the models are of different walks of life, and this is in spirit of celebrating the rich cultural diversity in this country, and how everything coexists in harmony.

Now, I am definitely looking forward for more, and am feeling more confident to get involved in the design industry! Photography is an exciting art, and a very helpful one, especially for a designer like me. It is amazing how with a simple click of the shutter, and actually knowing what you are doing, you can figuratively snap a photograph which paints a thousand words.

— Hidayah

No comments:

Post a Comment